RF, MF and HF SERIES DEALKALIZERS
ADVANTAGES OF DEALKALIZERS
- Reduce blowdown and save energy, water and chemicals.
- Boost Boiler Performance. The amount of boiler blowdown is most often attributed
to alkalinity. Concentrations for alkalinity beyond recommended operating limits
cause problems of foaming and solids carryover to the steam. A dealkalizer will
increase the number of times the make-up is concentrated in the boiler, reducing
blowdown and boiler operating costs, foaming and carryover.
- Reduce Condensate Line Corrosion. Reducing the amount of carbonic acid which
forms from carbon dioxide reacting with condensed steam reduces the amount of
expensive chemicals necessary to neutralize the acid and reduces return line corrosion.
- Reduce Chemical Treatment. The reduction of blowdown by dealkalization keeps water treatment chemicals in the boiler longer, and thus minimizes the
amount of chemicals required for efficient, non-corrosive operation.
- Lower Fuel and Operating Costs. Blowdown losses to the sewer are expensive because the lost water has been heated, softened, pumped, and chemically
- Boilers operating below 300 psi are the best application. Boilers at higher pressures generally require special water treatment, such as deionization or reverse
osmosis, to reduce dissolved solids.
- Use of dealkalizers on low-pressure boilers pays off when the total exchangeable anion content is less than 400 ppm as CaCO3 or if the total exchangeable
anions are more than 50% of the total anions.
- Dealkalizing cooling water substantially reduces blowdown. Although acid feeding accomplishes the same thing, since acids are difficult to control and handle,
a chloride anion dealkalizer is a simple, safe, economical way to handle cooling waters.
ANION EXCHANGE RESIN
The anion exchange resin used in Water King dealkalizers is Purolite A-300E. Purolite A-300 can also remove nitrates when regenerated with salt. In some
dealkalization cases, small amounts of caustic is used in combination with salt during the regeneration in order to enchance the resin operation. This addition gives
higher operating capacity and lower silica leakage. Purolite A-300E is a type 2 strong base anion devoid of taste and odor. A-300E meets the requirements of
paragraph 121.1148 of the Food Additives Regulation of the FDA. The water treated by A-300E must not exceed 0.05 ppm of free chlorine, 5 A.P.H.A. turbidity units,
0.1 ppm of iron or 0.1 ppm heavy metals.
SODIUM HYDROXIDE FEED SYSTEM
Caustic feed systems are available for all Water King dealkalizers. The caustic feed system consists of an 18" diameter solution feed tank and an LMI Series "A"
chemical feed pump. The pump is set to run during brine draw and operates automatically with the system. Since many customers supply their own caustic feed
system, it is an adder on the Water King systems. Specify caustic feed system for dealkalizer with pressure switch and timer (part number 805098).